BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 7=The HR office

Today isn't really a new thing...I mean, in a way it is. I've been feeling a little under the weather so I haven't been able to do much and the weather has been disgusting. I went to school and work, and long story short, I had to call the human resources office for a password change to log in to the company system to take some annual tests. Unfortunately they deleted my information from the database. How I was getting paid is beyond me.

So everyone thought that an hour before clocking out would give me enough time to get in touch with them and fix everything so we called, and I sat down at the computer. I sat, and sat, and after a half hour I decided I would start talking to the voice automated system because I've heard that sometimes the people listen to what you're saying, and if you make a good enough plea they'll be nice. I mean what could it hurt, right? So I pretty much started begging them to pick up the phone because I just needed to change my password to take some tests.

Another 20 minutes goes by, and I start telling them I had to clock out in ten minutes and I needed to be places, and that since they were the HR office they needed to start caring about their employees and not putting them on hold for 50 minutes.

It has now hit the time when I'm supposed to clock out, and I'm literally about to hang up the phone when it puts me through. The guy picks up and the first thing out of his mouth is "So you're at work huh?" I wanted to reach through the phone and slap him, but I tried to remain calm. Our conversation went on for a little while and when it was time for him to explain how to get my new password he zipped through the instructions like there was a fire in his office, but he was determined to get the info to me before running for his life out of the building. So when he finishes he asks me if I've got it, and by this time I'm getting really peeved because it was now a half hour after I was supposed to clock out. So I said I didn't have time to even do the first thing he said and by the time I could do it he was already finished with his explanation and that he'd have to start over.

The phone, no joke, went dead silent for a few seconds, and then all I heard was, "...OK-you didn't get any of that?" My blood pressure had risen by this point because he was getting super snippy, and I didn't have all day, and I'd have to come in on my day off to do the tests that I couldn't do because of their mess up.

I think help lines bring out the worst in me because I was a little rude after this point.

"No, I didn't get any of that, because you didn't pause to let me tell you to slow down, and when I did try to speak you kept cutting me off, now please explain it to me again, and this time try a little slower." Ya-apparently I'm a really mean person when I get attitude from someone who's company was the cause of the problem. So the phone went silent yet again, and then he made a long overdrawn sigh like the ones you hear in Napoleon Dynamite, and then explained it to me like a five year old.

So I guess the new thing for me today is having to call the HR office for the first time, and deal with someone that is entirely to rude for their own good. The good thing about this is that I'll have a funny story to tell my coworkers next time I work, and yes I will refer to the guy as Napoleon Dynamite.

2 comments:

tenacious d said...

Funnily enough, I am sitting on perpetual hold, waiting for computer support while reading this blog post. It just occurred to me this morning that I needed access to something ASAP to be able to read mammograms this afternoon. Oh well! At least this guy (I finally have someone on the phone with me) is nice.

Giovanna said...

Haha, apparently it happens a lot. At least your guy was nice. :)