BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 6=The Newspaper

I have a lot of fond memories from my childhood, but there is one that has always stuck out in my mind. Sunday would roll around, and my dad would get the Local Newspaper. As he read each page diligently my family would go throughout our day. Once he was done I remember him handing the comics to my siblings. This is where my memory becomes hazy. I either fought with my brother for them (which also happened with the toy at the bottom of the cereal box.)or we would each take a page and read the comics then switch. My point in all of this is that the newspaper seemed to bring my siblings and I together even if it was for a short amount of time.

I loved those times because no matter where we moved, the comics and the time spent with my family stayed the same. (Reading back on this, it sounds super corny, but I didn't mean for it to. Haha)

Once my family moved to Utah it seemed like I read the comics less and less, until I didn't consider reading them anymore. If you think about it, it's kind of sad, because the Sunday comics were like Saturday morning cartoons, and believe me, if they still showed cartoons on Saturday, I'd be waking up before work to watch them.

So for today I decided that instead of just reading the comics, I would sit down and read through at least one article per section. Which was cool because my dad was still reading them to. I've never really picked up a newspaper before (not counting the ones that the college prints out) and just read it, so I was pretty excited.

I realized something from this. The world is scary. Newslines read all sorts of negative, and I'm not gonna lie, I was really sad. That is until I got to the sports section, and started reading about the tradition of the President throwing the first pitch in the Washington opener.

Very interesting if you ask me. At first the tradition was to throw the ball from the stands to the starting pitcher or the umpire. It changed to the ball being thrown over photographers into a crowd of the players of both teams who would have a "battle for the ball." Whoever won would have the President sign it, and get to keep it. It made me laugh imagining what these players would be willing to do to get the ball.

I can imagine that this "battle" is the reason the President now takes the mound and throws the first pitch. The battle wounds probably caused players to not play their best.

Overall, I'm glad I read the newspaper. I feel a little more intellectual, and I learned a lot.

The most important thing to remember is that because of the time I took away from the things I have on my to do list, I formed a new memory; reading the newspaper with my dad. Remember guys, good memories are priceless! Try and make as many a day as you can.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Just don't try taking the newspaper crossword puzzle from your dad.

Giovanna said...

Ya, I think he'd kill me if I tried. haha