BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Creativity. Do some have it while others do not?

My friend was talking to me the other day about how she felt worthless. She felt like her past was getting in the way of her future, and as I talked she told me she thought I was hilarious, and wishes she could be as creative as I could be. It occurred to me that I have no real answer as to if I was blessed creativity or that there was something in our lives that was different enough that we grew up to think differently...I don't know how to say that and make it sound smart, so just deal with it people. I'm unfortunately not a genius. It wasn't something I have in my personality...grid...see! When I sound smart it comes out sounding like someone threw words together and called it a masterpiece.

Anyways. As I pondered over this conversation it occurred to me that creativity is within all of us. How many times when you are working with a group of people do you have an idea, but are afraid to share it because you're afraid others won't think it's good? I'll be the first to say that I lack the confidence to do that sometimes because I'm afraid I'll "fail".

As I've grown and gone to school I have been taught that there is a right and wrong answer. If it isn't right, then it HAS to be wrong. I would sit in class and think about how I'd gotten this problem or that problem wrong and although I may have gotten a couple of things right, I didn't focus on those. I focused on trying to figure out why I'd gotten some wrong.

Once I graduated and headed to college I transferred that thinking to what careers I could go into in order to make a living. I didn't care that acting, singing, and dancing were almost like oxygen to me. I felt depressed if I wasn't doing them. The only thoughts I entertained were which career could I be ok going into? What job could I get that I'd be able to get by on for the years before retirement? It didn't occur to me that I was an individual that needed to do what she loved and find a way to live doing it.

I was sitting at work searching videos on YouTube just trying to find something to pass my time, and I came across one that explained everything I'd been questioning, and I was impressed to write this and share the video so that others can hopefully be helped by it as well.

I pulled a lot from the video but another thing I wanted to stress was that talents are not dependent on what you've been blessed with. Talents are dependent on what you enjoy doing and how hard you work on being better in that area.

If there is a talent that someone possesses and you're jealous of it DON'T be! Stop wishing you were a certain way and practice it! Don't be scared to "fail" either. Failing isn't a word that should be in anyone's vocabulary. Instead replace it with the idea of it being a learning experience!

Sorry. I'm scatterbrained. Watch the video everyone! I command you! :) Please?

0 comments: