BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Barcelona and beyond

So we left our hostel in Barcelona at 11 in the morning. Our flight to Italy didnt [apparently Italian keyboard dont have apostrophes or parenthesis...or who knows what else. So please excuse every last punctuation error. Im making do with what I have.} leave until 5. So we had time to kill. We went and sat on the dock because we didnt want to carry around our bags for 6 hours. So then around 2 thirty we started to walk up La Rambla to the air bus station. All of a sudden we heard people laughing around us and Jamila and I had no clue why until we looked to our left.

People in a nudist group were riding their bikes down the road waving at people as they passed by. One thought came to mind and it was, what if you accidentally fall...you would scrape places that should never be open to scraping. It would hurt SO bad!

So we left for the airport and I guess it doesnt matter how early you arrive, you are ALWAYS running through the airport to catch your flight these days. So we make it, and the flight is extremely cramped. Which was fine. Whatever.

We land in Rome, but our hostel booking is in Napoli because we wanted to go see where my ancestors came from. So after 3 hours at the train station we make it to our hostel around 11 at night. It was the most frightening experience walking the streets of Napoli at that time. People were trying to get us into their car so they could "take us to our hostel." It smelled like smoke inside, and it was freezing.

We got out of there as fast as humanly possible the next morning after eating a canoli or 2.

We got on a train heading for Salerno where my hometown is supposedly right out of. We get there and find out that not only is it another hour away but due to it being Sunday only main city trains are running and that there is no possible way for us to get to the right city. So after 2 hours on that train we jumped right back on and headed back to Napoli.

From there we got onto a train to Roma termini and there werent seats on the train so we had to stand in a 6 by 6 foot square standing area between carts. After the twenty billionth stop it had gotten so crowded. Over 20 people, their luggage, and at one point there was a baby stroller in it. I kept getting hit in the stomach so I turned to the wall and got cornered and kept getting my face hit into the corner. It was such a pleasant ride.

Finally we made it to Roma and both Jamila and I feel like we are like the French now. We don't use our words, we shove anyone who is in our way, and we have mean scowls on our face as we walk down the road.

We made it to our hostel, and after an incredibly frustrating day full of pointless travel, and people to piss me off I'm going out on the town. I'm getting gilato and maybe some pizza. Maybe pasta. Maybe it doesn't matter because I am in freaking Italy!

Alright, I'll be honest. The day isn't a complete waste. We got to see nudists on bikes, and there was the cutest little boy on our train from Salerno that talked to us and then gave us both a kiss on the cheek when he got off. I think Italy will be good, and the fact that I'm editing this and putting in that I just had my first real Italian Gelato and pasta means that it turned out well.

I'm hoping Italy is everything I thought it would be. Tomorrow it's the beach and pizza. Maybe a little more Gelato. As long as I keep budgeting I think this whole trip is bound to make a turn around for the better, and so with that I will say Ciao for now.

0 comments: